Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The first (and second) day of school...

Day 1: Well I had no idea it would be THIS different, everything else has pretty much been similar to the United States, but here, the first day of school was a little bit of craziness and stress. My first class, along with most people's first class starts at 7.45 am, but that isn't early here because everyone wakes up at like 6. The entire class was spent trying to switch the time slot, but every day you have every lecture and a different time slot every day. It is confusing, and i still don't really get it, but anyway, the class was a waste of time. I decided that since i am only taking three modules (classes) that i needed to volunteer so after class i sought out the person in charge of the HIV/AIDS student support unit and told her i wanted to work in her office. To my surprise i was put to work immediately.

It just so happens that this week is STI/Condom Awareness week and there is free HIV testing on the lawn and a tent set up from the support unit. I helped set everything up and then i had to go to my next class, which so happen to overlap with my third class. I went for 5 minutes, and left feeling stressed that i was going to be late, and i didn't know what room my next class was in because the room listed was non existant. After a half hour of wondering buildings looking for my class, i found it with 10 minutes left in the lecture, oops.

After my last lecture i went back to the tent on the lawn and hung out with the people involved in the HIV/AIDS support group and met the person in charge of an all girls group called "Strictly Ladies" which does women empowerment for women, including HIV/AIDS issues, drug abuse, alcohol abuse and just fun things. She invited me to come to her meeting today, more to come on that...

After dinner we all went out to celebrate surviving our first day (going to the bar is so weird).

Day 2: After learning all the clicks (there are 4 different types) in Zulu class i headed to my meeting with Fufu, the president of strictly ladies. To my surprise i spent the next four hours planning workshops and events for the semester and i am now the secretary. We made a bunch of flyers to put around campus, hung out and got a lot done. I guess i am involved now. Anywho... not much else, i will let you know how it all ends up, but things are definitly moving quicker than i imagined.

1 comment:

  1. you're super duper. I have gotten lots of enjoyment out of your tales in south africa.
    ~Elise
    p.s. don't get an STI

    ReplyDelete