Sunday, February 15, 2009

Feb. 14 and other fun days...

many adventures in the past couple days. some included hanging out with new people from the dorms and adventuring to Durban with American friends, along with a valentine's dinner. from the beginning...

Thursday night my friends from the dorms invited me out with them to the home of these guys from Swaziland. They were so nice and cooked us dinner and we drank wine and danced. These girls are really funny and crazy and all of them exhibit characteristics of my friends from home, itleast they are good enough for temporary stand ins, but nothing is as good as the real thing.

Saturday morning began a day long adventure to the beach. When I wake up and it is sunny and hot on Feb.14 there is no where i would rather be than the beach, the funny thing is that this is the first time in my life that it was a possiblity. I woke up a bunch of the american girls and we began our long adventure into Durban, home of the golden mile of beaches. Durban is about a 45-60 minute drive from pietermaritzberg if you were to drive directly, but without the means to rent a cab, we decided to go the local way, Kumbis. First you have to take a Kumbi into downtown Pietermaritzberg, then one from there into downtown Durban, than walk like 20 minutes through "the workshop" (a crazy place filled with tents and huts selling this and that) to a line where you take another Kumbi to the beach. Finally when we got there (2 hours later) we decided to go to South Beach, since we went to North Beach last time. To tell you the truth, i have never felt more out of place in my life, it was definitly an interesting feeling. The waves were so big, we couldn't even go in so we walked along the beach and ate some pizza and ice cream. Overall, the day was a great success that we made it there and back, next time, hopefully it will be easier, practice makes perfect.

Valentine's day dinner. My friend that we met lives in the dorm next door invited me over for dinner, macaroni and cheese. It was good, relaxing, overall uneventful evening, besides the fact that i locked my keys in my room and had to figure out a way to wake up the person on duty in the office to unlock my room. Of course, stuff like that only happens to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment